Just like with fashion and beauty, so does the health and fitness industry go through trends.
Our brains like to be stimulated with new things, new ideas and new adventures. There is nothing wrong with that! My biggest challenge is always having to explain to clients WHY some trends are just fads. They often do more harm than good and are not worth investing time and money in. I have listed the top 7 health and fitness trends for 2018 to look out for and which will very likely carry forward beyond the new year. These are not just trends but actual movements that will change your well-being for the better permanently!
BONUS is that all of them can be implemented immediately! There is no new gadget, device or app you will need to add to your busy life. It’s all about becoming un-complicating, making life simpler, more natural and more enjoyable!
1. Plant protein VS animal protein
- Yes, you hear it a lot on my blog because I am plant-based but more and more people are starting to realise the benefits of eating plant protein vs animals protein.
- Firstly, it is much cheaper! Just do a budget check the next time you buy meat during the month and trust me, you can cut your bill by half when you swap over to plant protein.
- Secondly, plant protein contains no harmful steroids, antibiotics and dangerous bacteria and parasites like meat therefore it is much safer.
- And lastly It is much more sustainable for environment health (see below)
2. Anti-inflammatory foods
- Inflammation is the root cause of most diseases. It causes havoc with the body and the scary thing is, MANY of our foods that we eat (MEAT AND DAIRY are HUGE culprits) cause terrible inflammation on the body!
- Ever heard of acid and alkalising foods? Well it is the same concept, except with a fancier name. Foods that cause acidity to increase in the body are inflammation causing foods and foods that help get the body more alkaline are ANTI-INFLAMMATORY
- If you have been on a diet that has been heavy in meat, dairy & sugar, I would recommend doing a detox and anti-inflammatory detox to help get your body into top health for 2018. Check out my 10 DAY VEGAN DETOX & FAT LOSS PLAN here!
3. Hemp power
- Even though it has come under the radar with regards to the legalization of hemp in it’s pure form, no one can refute the unbelievable benefits it brings to ones health. This plant has incredible benefits for the treatment of cancer, diabetes, osteoarthritis and asma as well as powerful muscle growth and recovery, strong bones and teeth, beautiful skin and hair AND a powerful anti-oxidant. There is no denying that this little green super plant will be a trend for a loooong time ……
- One of my favourite ways to enjoy hemp is via the little whole hemp seeds or pure hemp protein powder. The benefits I have gained from this is incredible! I highly recommend you replace your current protein powder with pure raw, organic hemp protein. Synerchi Organics is my choice of brand for amazing quality!
4. Fermented foods and gut health
- Many people underestimate the importance of gut health UNTIL they struggle with it…..myself included. An unhealthy and unbalanced gut can cause havoc in ones body AND LIFE! Did you know an unhealthy gut can lead to asthma, weight gain, arthritis, bad skin conditions, vitamin deficiency AND MENTAL DISORDERS. Studies have shown that it can contribute to anxiety & depression! It becomes very obvious how important it is to keep a healthy gut and this is where FERMENTED foods are the answer to gut health problems!
- Things like Kombucha, Kimchi, sauerkraut and Kortido are all naturally fermented foods that do miracles for gut health WITHOUT harmful side effects from medical alternatives! Need to know more? Check out EARTH REBEL
5. Mental health & well-being
- The phrase “mind body and soul” has been so over used it’s value has been diluted and often yawned over when heard in conversion. It’s only in the past 2 years or so that it has been been consciously practiced. People are now starting to realize how vital it is to feel mentally well, not just physically.
- Life requires ridiculous expectations from us. To keep up with these expectations our mental health struggles which leads to stress, anxiety, depression and breakdowns.
- Practicing mental well-being is so vital to being able to function optimally and actually enjoy life regardless of the stress.
- This mental wellness is often practiced through meditation, prayer, stillness or being in nature (see below)
6. Body weight training done at home & outdoors
- As mentioned above, mental well-bing has become a necessity for happiness in life. One of the ways to achieve this is by getting out into nature. More and more people are becoming aware of the incredible benefits outdoor training brings to ones well-being and it has also become more practical!
- Being able to run out of the office to the park for a workout, or taking a mat and a set of weights into the garden for a HIIT session not only saves time but money as well. And the biggest benefit is that it reduces stress levels by half!
- This might sound like “old news” but with the fact that more than half of society is still trying to conquer the split routine and fasted cardio, this is a trend that is going to be embraced in full force! Who wants to wait in a queue for a cardio machine or shuffle around some grunting and ego flexing hulks when there is some blue sky and fresh air (and privacy) waiting for you outside?!?!
- Home-based and outdoor training are both more efficient and effective when it comes to time and energy. AMAZING results are achieved in half the amount of time and stress.
- Confused with all the options out there? Why don’t you give this program a try? I speak with confidence that it’s reshape your body AND life!!!
7. Fresh balanced variety VS pre-made restriction
- Calorie counting, food measuring and meal prepping. I use to do this with my food to help prep for shows when I was competing. However, this obsession as an everyday lifestyle is one of the worst habits I got myself into. When your life is consumed with managing a family, prioritizing a career and still trying to get in your training and stay healthy, that “pro-athlete” lifestyle is unrealistic and un-maintainable.
- NO ONE has the time to spend 3-4hrs every Sunday, prepping meals only to have to cook again if you have a family.
- Plus it is boring, unsatisfying and not healthy in the slightest.
- The answer is choosing FRESH natural foods and enjoying a variety of them within a healthy balance. Variety becomes endless, your body is nourished properly and I PROMISE YOU, those crazy cravings & feelings of deprivation fade away.
- DO you find a “balanced approach” challenging? Never fear, I have the answer for you right here and a perfect plan to help kick start your 2018 fitness journey!
Those are my Top 7 Health & Fitness trends for 2018! Embrace these trends as a way of living and very soon your health, energy and body results will be abundant!