After years of rejecting the carbohydrate, it’s the era of awaking when it comes to eating whole form, natural, plant based carbohydrates that bring imperative benefits to the body & the body’s ability to function at it’s best.
The sweet potato falls into the category of healthy, healing & beneficial carbohydrates and thanks to the work of Anthony Williams coming to light (see incredible benefits below), the amazing power of plant based foods is been shown & shared for all to enjoy!
- Sweet Potatoes packed with antioxidants like beta carotene, vitamins C, E & D, and minerals such as manganese and iron. They are also high in potassium which helps to lower blood pressure by removing excess sodium and regulating fluid balance in the body.
- Sweet potatoes are easy to digest and are very good for ulcers, inflamed colons, digestive disorders, and constipation.
- Turns out sweet potatoes are also an anti-stress food which means they help relax muscles, steady nerves, and balance cognitive function…..pretty awesome don’t you think.
- Sweet potatoes help with the removing of heavy metals from the body which is VITAL in this modern day. It contain compounds called phytochelatins that can bind to heavy metals such as lead, mercury, copper, & cadmium and then safely removes them from the body.
- Lastly, they are also known for being a powerful anti-cancer food by assisting in the prevention of breast, colon, lung, skin, and oral cancers.
How amazing is the sweet potato! Why would we want to exclude it when some “expert” (not) claims carbs are bad for the body?
This gives you full permission to embrace the sweet potato by enjoying it in healthy nutritious meals….like this one!
The perfect sweet potato fries recipe!
We all like sweet potato fries however it’s important that we make them in a nutritious & beneficial way for the body. That is the key difference between being beneficial or detrimental to your health!
Using highly processed or GMO based oils like canola, corn or odor free coconut oil is poison to the body!
Here is my favourite way to enjoy them! I have included the recipe for a VEGAN “sour cream” & tomato salsa as well!
Sweet potato fries recipe
INGREDIENTS : Serves 4 (1 large potato per person)
- 4 large sweet potatoes (orange or white…orange has more beta-carotene & other minerals…but both are beneficial )
- Olive oil or Organic natural coconut oil
- NON radiated thyme & rosemary
- Corse sea salt & pepper
- 1 large red onion
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 green chili (optional)
- ½ cup fresh coriander
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (or regular sugar)
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice from half a lemon
Vegan sour cream ingredients
- 1 tin coconut milk (try get with minimal preservatives & additives)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Wash potatoes well (warm water & scrub)
- Cut into long chunky fries, about 2cm thick
- Lay them onto a baking try & use a spray bottle to spray them with olive oil. Toss them around to make sure each side is coated. If you are using coconut oil, pre melt about 4 tbsp coconut oil & then drizzle over. Toss them well to make sure all is coated.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper & the dried (or fresh) thyme & rosemary. Make sure each fry is laying flat on the baking tray (more like to crisp then).
- Pop into hot oven & bake for 60-75min, GENTLY turning onto each side every 20min. How quick they bake & crisp will depend on your oven, be patient & keep a watch on them
Salsa: Finely dice the onion, tomato, chili & coriander. Mix all together with 45ml lemon juice, 45ml olive oil, 1tsp coconut sugar & season to taste.
Vegan Sour cream: Mix ALL the ingredients together & allow to sit for 30min in the fridge (add more lemon juice to make it thicker & tangier ). Adding Dijon mustard is also very good.
Once done, place on a serving plate with the salsa & sour creme. Garnish with extra fresh coriander, parsley & spring onion & enjoy!
Fresh guacamole & a spicy black bean mix also goes very well with this 🙂
Images by Elle Olsson via Unsplash
For more amazing plant based meal ideas like the Sweet potato fries recipe, click here!