Who doesn’t purple love vegan sushi especially when it is this colour!?!
It’s not hard to make and really fun to serve for the family or at dinner parties.
Here are the ingredients to make purple Vegan Sushi
- 250g sushi rice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar (I have used apple cider vinegar as well & works fine)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup finely grated beetroot
- 1 – 2 packs seaweed sheets (normally about 5-6 sheets per pack. I work on about 2 -3 sheets per person….depends on how hungry you are)
For inside the purple sushi
- ½ cup raw Synerchi Organic Hemp hearts (AMAZING benefits, I have listed them below)
- Cucumber sliced into sticks
- Carrots sliced into thin sticks
- Red pepper sliced into thin sticks
- Avocado thinly sliced
- About half a cup of each of the veggies above, you might have to slice more if needed.
Condiments to serve
- Soy sauce
- Pickled ginger
Method to make Purple Vegan Sushi (ps…it looks long but it’s not, I just wanted to make sure you clearly understand me 😉
- Cook the sushi according to the instructions on the packet. Allow enough time so that it cools down completely. It can take a few tries to get the sushi rice texture right, but otherwise, it’s not hard. The rice vinegar & sugar is for part of cooking the rice.
- Once the rice is cool, mix in the beetroot & this is how it gets its incredible colour…i.e. purple sushi!!!
- Next, wet a clean dish towel & squeeze it out well.
- Lay it down on a clean flat working surface. Have all your other ingredients ready in separate bowls to make assembling the purple sushi smooth.
- Have a bowl of fresh clean cold water next to you to rinse your fingers.
- Take a single sheet of seaweed & lay it on the damp dishtowel shiny side down….meaning the rough side must face up. Now an easy way to learn how to roll sushi is to watch a video on youtube, there are thousands, but I’ll try my best to explain here. Remember, don’t overthink it, it’s really easy & just have fun!!!
- Wet your fingers & grab a good hand full of rice.
- Blob it all over the seaweed sheet. Now wet your hands again & start to flatten the blobs out so that you create a nice thin layer of rice (about 1cm thick) covering the entire seaweed sheet…except for the top edge. Leave about 2cm of seaweed sheet open…..this will help you seal your purple sushi roll.
- Wet fingers again to remove any stickiness. Do this as often as you need. It will make the process so much easier.
- At the bottom edge (closets to you) start to layout your veggies. Lay them horizontal & not too much as it will become too thick.
- Sprinkle some Hemp Hearts over the veggies before rolling.
- Wet fingers again.
- Starting at the edge, start to roll the sushi up (will also take practice but this is the fun part & it’s quick to get the hang of). Try to keep it nice and tight without tearing the seaweed sheet.
- Once at the top edge, wet the part that you left open with a tiny bit of water on your fingers and then seal it over.
- Place the roll on a clean plate. I refrigerate them until all are done.
- Once ready to serve, take a sharp knife, dip it in cold water and slice your sushi into roughly 2cm thick disks.
- I finish it off by sprinkling extra hemp heart on each one.
- Serve if with a good quality soy sauce, pickled ginger & wasabi (all are optional).
- They are super versatile & if you are not vegan, you can add your choice of filling to the Purple Sushi rolls (just a side note for those who have families who have different eating habits 😉
As I mentioned above, there are incredible benefits to including hemp hearts into your diet and as you can see they are very versatile….they are even perfect for sushi!!!
10 Benefits of including Hemps hearts into your diet
Hemp Hearts are an incredible source of protein & provide all essential amino acids the body needs.
They are super high in anti-oxidants.
Hemp build lean muscle mass
Help keep the heart strong
Contains a beautiful balance of Omega 3, 6 & 9
They are super high in fibre
Helps fight dreaded diseases like diabetes, cancer & heart disease
Contains zero cholesterol