When it comes to pizza, for me the base is EVERYTHING!!!!! If it doesn’t taste like a pizza base I don’t want to eat it.
Being vegan can be challenging enough on the Italian scene, now mention GLUTEN-FREE vegan pizza & you have everyone around you rolling their eyeballs.
Well guess what, that’s just too bad because I want my pizza and eat it!!!
I have never had a problem with gluten until I found out I have the EBV virus & an autoimmune condition & gluten really doesn’t help with that.
If I had to have small amounts on the odd occasion, not a big deal, but I like my weekly pizza, so I had to find an alternative!
Drum roll…. gluten-free VEGAN PIZZA made with a sweet potato base that actually goes crispy, holds it’s shaping & tastes really good!
AND it’s versatile! Even non-vegans can throw whatever they want on it! Plus getting your family to eat less wheat & gluten during the week isn’t a bad thing either 😉
Let’s not wait any longer, here are the ingredients for the GLUTEN FREE VEGAN PIZZA SWEET POTATO BASE!!!! This serves a family of 4.
Ingredients for the GLUTEN-FREE VEGAN PIZZA
Sweet potato base
- 1 large sweet potato (enough to give you 2 cup mashed sweet potato)
- 1 cup potato flour
- ¾ cup brown rice flour
- ¾ cup tapioca flour
- 1 ½ tsp xanthan gum or guar gum (don’t overdo this, measure it out well)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- wax paper. Cut 8 30×30 cm squares of wax paper (2 per person….depends on how many you are making for).
- olive oil
- 2 cups baby tomatoes (halved)
- 2 large leeks (sliced finely)
- 1 large green pepper (diced)
- 250g mushrooms (button, brown or whichever mushroom you prefer sliced or cut into quarters)
- olive oil
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1/ cup olives or capers (if you like that)
- Basil pesto (click here for recipe)
- creamy hummus (click here for recipe)
Method to make the gluten-free vegan pizza
I know initially, it seems complicated but it really is simple once you know what you are doing!!! I have written out ALL the steps so that there is no confusion for you, but once you got it, it’s super easy!
- Wash the potato well, cut into chunks & steam in a pot with a little water until nice & soft. You can do this ahead of time.
- Turn the oven on to 190 degrees Celcius
- You going to cook the veggies separately, following the steps below. Do this before you cook the base because once that gets going it’s quick!
- Heat a skillet with 1 tbsp olive oil & add the leeks. Allow to cook, continuously tossing, until caramelized & soft.
- Remove from the pan & place onto a plate or into a bowl for now.
- Return the skillet back to the heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil & add the green pepper. Allow to cook, continuously tossing, until caramelized & soft.
- Remove from the pan & place onto the plate or into the bowl with the leeks for now.
- Return the skillet back to the heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil & add the mushrooms (I sound like a record on repeat here….but you get the idea right?). Allow to cook, continuously tossing, until caramelized & soft.
- Remove from the pan & place onto the plate or into the bowl with the other veggies.
- Lastly, return the skillet back to the heat one more time, add 1 tbsp olive oil & add the tomatoes. Allow to cook, continuously tossing, until caramelized. Don’t overcook these!!!
Gluten free sweet potato base
- Once the potato is cooked, drain the water & remove the skin. Should come off easily.
- Mash with a fork & allow to cool for a bit so that you can work with it.
- Place the potato, rice & tapioca flour along with the guar gum, baking powder & salt in a large mixing bowl.
- When the potato is cool, measure out 2 cups of cooked mashed sweet potato & add it into the flour. Then just climb straight in there with your hands. Keep mixing until a nice smooth dough ball is formed.
- Too sticky? Add more rice or potato flour (small amounts until it balances out)
- Too dry? Add more potato (small amounts until it balances out)
- Get your wax paper squares. I spread a liiiiiitle bit of olive oil on each sheet (on the wax side).
- Divide the dough into 4. Place each dough ball in-between 2 wax paper sheets (wax side against the dough.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out until flat….3 or 4 mm thick. Mine is NEVER a perfect circle, odd oblong shape most of the time but do your best 😉
- Peel off the 1 sheet (DON’T throw away!!!) & place the rolled out dough on a baking sheet. Hopefully, you can fit more than 1 at a time in your oven.
- Prebake the bases for 10min at 190 degrees Celcius. Take out of the over (you will see parts of it will start to puff up & the edge brown), place the 2nd wax sheet on top (wax facing down) & flip the base over (don’t burn yourself). Gentle peel off the 1st wax paper.
- Spread the base with 1 tbsp of tomato paste & then sprinkle a selection of those veggies you have pre-cooked, along with the olives & capers. Place back in the oven for another 15-20min. Lift to check the base after 15min, when its golden brown it’s done!!!
Remove the paper, cut into slices, top with the creamy hummus or tangy tahini “cheese” & basil Spinach pesto & you are done!!!!
It’s recipes like this that incorporate into my 60-day BODY BREAKTHROUGH NUTRITION PROGRAM.
It helps me feel and look my best AND I actually ENJOY what I eat. EVERY MEAL should be a pleasure & enjoyment and that is how I designed the BODY BREAKTHROUGH program.