When it comes to food, mornings are my favourite, I am not going to lie. And one of those favourites would be a seriously golden crunchy granola on top of a thick creamy smoothie….basically, my day is made.
However I often run out of my Caribbean Coconut Granola before I have had time to make a fresh batch (poor planning on my side), so I have invested a 10min super crunchy granola version to enjoy!
It’s simple, straight forward & tastes pretty damn awesome. The key is to have the ingredients available otherwise you will get stuck there too.
Another great bonus about this crunchy protein granola recipe is that it is completely gluten & grain free & is a rich source of plant based protein!!!
I have some key (core) food products in my pantry now that helps ensure I can always make a healthy (& super yummy) breakfast to start my day.
Been using quite a bit of superfoods as I have realized I really need to invest in my health a little more since discovering I have EBV.
I am going to try give alternatives to the superfoods if you don’t have but if you can, slowly start introducing these foods into your pantry. Even if you just start off with 1 item a month. You will also notice you don’t need to spend 1000’s every month & you also don’t use cup fills at a time. I use Synerchi Organics because of their high quality & trusted products.
So here goes, 10min Super Crunchy Protein Granola Recipe (makes 4 servings)
- 2 tbsp organic coconut oil (avoid the de-flavoured one….rather use virgin olive oil instead)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup, coconut blossom nectar or agave nectar (regular syrup can be used OR honey for those who are vegetarian)
- 1 tsp natural vanilla pod extracts
- Large non stick pan
- 4 tbsp mixed raw seeds
- ½ cup almonds (any other nut will do, even peanuts, just try keep it GMO free)
- 4 tbsp activated buckwheat (I use this to keep it gluten free, otherwise you can use gluten free oats or just regular oats)
- 4 tbsp shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp Hemp Hearts (optional….but a great source of essential amino acids & omegas
- 2 tbsp Lucuma powder (optional but this allows it to for crunchy clumps, very good)
- 4 tbsp goji berries (or you can use any dried berry or raisins)
- Heat the pan until low/medium heat & add in the seeds, almonds & buckwheat. Keep tossing so nothing burns. As soon as you hear the seeds start to pop, add the coconut. Again, toss around until you can smell the coconut toast & see it turn a light golden brown.
- Add in the syrup, coconut oil & vanilla mix until melted. Turn off the heat & add the remaining ingredients which will be the hemp hearts & Lucuma powder.
- Make sure everything is mixed well, turn it out onto a tray lined with wax wrap & place in the freezer to cool down fast while you make a smoothie.
- (The smoothie I made in the pics was 1 large Frozen banana, ½ cup frozen mango, half cup frozen cucumber & 1 tbsp spirulina powder. Blend together & done).
- Pour the smoothie into the bowl, top it with the 4 tbsp of the granola
- This crunchy protein granola recipe makes enough for 4 servings. I use about 4 tbsp (or ¼ cup) per serving.