So a couple of months back I shared my very popular fresh spring roll recipe which was a hit amongst the family and today I want to share a different version of a spring roll…..a crispy spring roll recipe with a stir-fry filling.
A little more prep work is required but it’s a great spin and variation on the original raw spring roll and good way to get in some extra veggies. Another bonus is that it is wheat, gluten, egg, dairy and meat free!
Ingredients for the crispy spring rolls
Veggies for the stir-fry inside
- 1 large onion slices
- 2 large leeks sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup sprouted brown lentils
- 2 tbsp Sesame seeds
- 6-8 rice paper spring roll sheets
- Peanut or sesame oil
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Place 2 tbsp peanut or sesame oil into a hot wok and add the onion and leek. Toss around for about 5 minutes. Next, add the garlic and cabbage and cook for another 3 min. Once cabbage starts to soften add the carrot a mix around for a minute or so. Lastly add the sprouts with 2 tbsp soy sauce. Remove from the heat immediately and allow to cool for about 15min.
- Prep the rice paper sheets by placing them into room temperature water until soft.
- Take 1 out at a time and lay it on a damped dish cloth. Spoon in about 2-3 tbsp stir-fry and roll them up (look on rice paper packaging to see the rolling suggestions).
- In a large flat non stick pat, add a little olive oil. Once hot gently lay 3 – 4 rolls into the pan. You don’t want them to touch because the rice paper can get quite sticky when hot. Once crispy on the one side turn them over and crisp up on the other side (I try crisp them up on all 4 sides).
- Transfer to a paper towel to remove any excess oil. Place on a serving dish, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve the Crispy Spring rolls with my spicy peanut butter sauce (CLICK HERE FOR RECIPE).
This is another super versatile recipe and the variations are endless.
You can add purple cabbage, spring onion, mushroom, spinach, tofu or peppers and can be served with a variety of different dips….get creative and experiment with this crispy spring roll recipe!