I made these “Luv Bug” Beetroot Burgers on the 14th of February this year & they were so successful I have pretty much made them on repeat weekly every since.
- Wheat free
- Gluten Free
- High fibre
- High protein
- High anti-oxidants
- Autoimmune healing
- And LOADS more!!!
Beetroot is a power food that is often over looked. It’s no coinfidence that foods with bright deep colours have secret “superpowers” & beetroot is one of them!!!
Here some of the INCREDIBLE benefits of beetroot!
- Lowers high blood pressure
- Anti-cancer phytonutrition
- Prevent anaemia
- Supports healthy digestion
- Boost mental stamina & concentration
- Supports the liver with detoxification & healing (remember the liver is the driving force behind keeping your body feeling & looking well)
- Strengthens the heart
- Boosts energy levels
- Naturally low in calories & SUPER high in nutrition (great to help maintain a healthy weight)
- And is even said to boost ones sex drive
In that case, pass the beetroot please!
One of my favourite ways to have it is RAW in a JUICE. It is the most powerful & effective way to benefit from beetroot especially if you are suffering from EBV & Autoimmune disease & need a powerful boost.
Other ways to eat it is grated raw in salads, roasted in the over, lightly steamed OR even better, as a delicious beetroot burger like these ones below!!!!
Here’s the recipe!!!
Ingredients for my LUV BUG Beetroot Burgers
- 3 cups cooked black-eyed beans (about 2 cups dried, cooked from scratch, the canned ones don’t work that well but you can use them)
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 1 large beetroot grated on the smallest possible size grater
- 2 large cloves fresh garlic crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika spice
- 1 tbsp dried Mediterranean herbs (a mix of oregano, marjoram, basil )
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Olive or coconut oil
Method for making the beetroot burgers
- Cook 2 cups of dried black eyes beans in 4 cups water. 30min in add 1 tsp salt & continue to cook until soft & tender. Drain & allow to cool.
- Place 2 tbsp olive in a hot non stick pan & add the onion. Cook until translucent & tender. Add the Salt & pepper. Add in the grated beetroot & continue to stir-fry until soft for about 7min. Take off the heat & set aside.
- In a food processor, blend together the beans, fresh crushed garlic, paprika spice, Mediterranean herbs& parsley. Don’t over process, it must still have texture to it.
- In a large mixing bowl add the bean mix & onion & beetroot mix together & combined well. Taste the mixture to see if it needs more seasoning.
- Clean the pan that you used for the onion & beetroot & reheat with 2 tbsp olive on a medium heat.
- Form your beetroot burgers into patties (or little hearts like I did 😉 & put them in the hot pan. Allow to brown on each side & heat right through.
You can serve your beetroot burgers with a wide variety of options.
Traditionally with sweet potato fries.
With a portion of roasted veg.
Or on top of a green salad like I did. I used my green mayo as a dressing….if you want the recipe, click here