I have never been a fan of cauliflower until I taught myself how to create meals with it creatively.
Roasted cauliflower is one of my favourite ways to enjoy it but is has to be done properly……can’t have a soggy limp cauli on one’s plate 😕 . The key is that it’s all about temperature and keeping an eye on it.
And yes, this recipe can be adapted to suit a vegan who is KETO (hflc), WFPB (all natural) or HCLF (high carb low fat), that’s how versatile & easy plant based cooking can be, so check it out!
The recipe below is laid out for the WFPB version and in brackets I’ll give the alternatives & adaptions for the KETO & high carb options ….
Ingredients for the ROASTED CAULIFLOWER WITH CREAMY VEGAN DIPS 2 WAYS
- 1 large heads cauliflower (work on half a head per person)
- olive oil
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (KETO 1 cup soaked cashew nuts…..for the HCLF keep as is)
- 2 tbsp spoons Tahini paste (HCLF use 1 tsp & keep the
aquafaba from the chickpea (the water in which they are cooked or come from the can)
- 1 large fat clove fresh garlic
- juice from half medium lemon
- 1 tsp each of cumin & coriander spice
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- 1 cup baby spinach (washed & dried)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (washed & dried)
- 1/2 cup olive (HCLF use 1/4 cup quantity & add 1/4 cup of the aquafaba)
- juice of half a medium lemon
- 2 large cloves garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
Roasting the cauliflower
- Wash the cauliflower & cut off the stems. Allow to dry completely before transferring to a baking tray
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Lay the florets on the tray & use a spritzer bottle to spray the cauli with olive oil. Ideal if you follow the WFPB or HCLF way of eating. If you are Keto, you can be a little more liberal with the olive oil.
- Place in the oven & gently turn every 10min until crispy on the outside but not falling apart.
Hummus (Cashew) Dip
- Place all the ingredients into a blender & blend until smooth & creamy. Add 1/2 cup aquafaba if it seems a little dry.
- For the KETO version, replace the chickpeas with soaked cashes & also blend all the ingredients together. Add a little aquafaba if you want to make it a little smoother.
- For the HCLF version, use all the ingredients as for the WFPB but use only 1 tsp tahini paste & add extra aquafaba until a smooth creamy texture is formed
Basil Spinach pesto dip
- For the WFPB & KETO version, place all the listed ingredients into a blender & whiz up until smooth. Add extra olive oil if needs be to make it smoother.
- FOr the HCLF version replace half the olive oil with aquafada & blend together. Add extra aquafada for a smoother finish.
Once all is done, place on a serving tray with the dips & enjoy! This crispy roasted cauliflower with vegan dips is PERFECT as a meal (yes a meal) or as a side dish to compliment another recipe OR as a started or snack at a dinner party!!!