2019 is the year of going green in your diet and this easy Mushroom & Black Bean burger is the PERFECT place to start!
There is something comforting & fun about a burger……maybe it’s the memories that are often created with it while enjoying a burger. Unfortunately the cheap fast food options out there does nothing for your body or environment. Those good memories quickly fade when you start to feel sluggish, 10kilo’s over weight and struggling with all kinds of issues like blood pressure, diabetes and stomach problems.
So that means an alternative needs to be created!
Burgers don’t have to be seen as something that is “fast food” or “junk food” anymore. Creating your own gorgeous & creative plant based burger can be something you can enjoy ANY DAY of the week.
YIP, this recipe gives you permission to place the BURGER back on the weekly menu WITHOUT feeling guilty or thinking you need to detox & burn off the mass of calories that often come with eating food chain burgers.
The secret is the ingredients you use and what you serve it with, all of which are wheat, gluten & grain free (not that I have a problem with grains, it just helps those with allergies 😉
Creating a burger out of cheap low grade meat and served with cheese, sauces, deep fried onions, fries and often extra cuts of other meat is a heart attack waiting to happen. If this is something you enjoy and want to eat, by all means, please do!…….But don’t complain about the bloating, skin breakouts, IBS, soft spongy skin tone, risk of heart disease, diabetes and cancer or just feeling uncomfortable.
The other BONUS about creating your own plant based burgers is that it will reduce the amount of plastic and waste that gets used in the production of fast foods and meat products and massively reduce your carbon footprint…..because check this out below.
Hmmmmm, 1 beef burger or 1 liter of milk costs us THAT much water!?!?!?! Now that’s motivation to embrace the bean burger! SO….lets dive straight into this easy mushroom & black bean burger recipe!
- 300ml cooked black beans (drained)
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 cup grated zucchinis
- 200g button mushrooms
- 4 medium cloves garlic crushed
- 45ml chickpea flour or coconut flour
- Salt & pepper
- olive oil
- 2 LARGE tomatoes, 1 cup baby spinach & 1/2 cup grated cucumber (for serving)
- Cook the onions & garlic in a hot pan with a little olive oil until translucent. Add the grated zucchinis and allow to cook until soft.
- Place the mushrooms in a food processor and blitz until the are finely chopped. Scoop out and add to the onions and zucchinis and allow to cook for another 5min. Place into a mixing bowl and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Place the black beans in the food processor and blitz until finely chopped. Add the beans to the veggie mix once cool and mix well.
- Then add the chickpea flour and season to taste. Mix well and allow to stand for 5min. This can also be placed in the fridge to firm up the texture.
- Heat a non stick pan until hot with a little olive oil.
- Make the mixture into patties (size of a large tomato) and place into the hot pan. Once golden brown on the one side, flip over and crisp up the other side. ALL the ingredients are already cooked so there is no need for it to be done again, you just want to give it some colour and flavour.
- Once done, layer your burgers with your sliced tomato, baby spinach and grated cucumber and I have served it with a basil pesto sauce. SUPER easy to make, here is the recipe…..Blend together 1 cup fresh basil, 2 large cloves garlic, 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil and salt and pepper. That’s it!!!!
How easy & simple was that and can you see how varied the recipe can be? Adding different spices, veggies or served with different pestos can create a whole different meal of flavour.
PACKED with nutrition, fibre, protein and healthy fats and carbs…..this easy mushroom & bean burger recipe is a winner!!!!!!
PS…….goes well with a kale chip! Here is the recipe for them!!! KALE CHIP RECIPE