The joys of a really yummy muffin are endless. This is one of my staple recipes that I make each week especially if I know it is going to be a busy couple of days ahead! And this pumpkin & orange spice muffin recipe is ideal!
Firstly, they are easy & quick. The preparation time is minimal and even baking them (as you will see below) is just as quick and easy.
Secondly, they can pack A LOT of nutritional value in one little meal. IF made the right way, my way 😉 , you can have a highly nutritious meal in a single muffin.
Thirdly, they are SO versatile! The flavour options are endless! Carrot & nut, apple and cinnamon, banana & pineapple, date & pecan, butternut & red pepper, cocoa & cashew…..I could go on forever. Each have a unique flavour and incredible nutritional value.
Lastly, they are IDEAL to carry around with you if you travel a lot during the day. My muffins freeze beautifully and all you need to do is take it out the night before, place it into your favourite travelling meal container & you are good to go!
TIP: pack these into your kids school lunches. It’s one way to get in their 5 a day!
Here are some benefits to eating these awesome little muffins: 🍊 😊
Pumpkin contains vitamins C and E, as well as beta-carotene, all of which have been found to play an important role in the health of our skin.
Vitamin C is not naturally made by the body and so it is important we get it from the diet every day, as it plays a part in collagen formation, helps to prevent bruising and helps with wound healing.
Vitamin E is an excellent antioxidant and acts together with vitamin C, helping to protect against sun damage and prevent dryness of the skin. Vitamin A, or beta-carotene, which is essential for both your skin & eyes!
And like the pumpkin, oranges are known for their vitamin C content which is a powerful antioxidant, helping protect our cells from damage. Just one medium orange will provide the RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) of vitamin C for adults.
They also contain health-promoting compounds known as flavanones. Research suggests that these citrus phytochemicals help support the body and protect us from conditions such as heart disease and cancer, as well as having some anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antimicrobial benefits.
So from the info above, you can see how incredible 1 little muffin can become, right?
Ingredients for my pumpkin & orange spice muffin recipe: 🍊 😊
- 2 cups bran
- 1 1/2 cups GMO free wholemeal
- 1/2 cup hemp protein (Synerchi Organics)
- 3 tsp bicarb
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp all spice mix
- 1 ½ cups grated pumpkin
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 ½ cups water
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar (or your choice of natural sweetener)
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Place the bran, flour, hemp protein, bicarb, salt & spice into a large mixing bowl
- Over a low heat, add the pumpkin and water and allow to simmer just until the pumpkin is soft and tender (DON’T over cook).
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pumpkin and gentle mix. From there, add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients and fold in gently.
- Spoon into a non stick muffin tray and bake for 25-30min. Check after 25min by inserting a tooth pick into the center of a muffin. If it comes out “clean” it is done, if it comes out “sticky” it needs another 5-7min.
- Allow to cool and then store in an air tight container or freeze.
It makes 12 DIVINE muffins